Zucchini-Tomato Polenta Tart.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour
Makes 4 servings
Ingredients for the crust
500ml vegetable stock
140g instant polenta
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
50g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 egg, lightly beaten
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients for the filling
2 tablespoons crème fraîche
50g goat cheese
1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced into thin slices
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
Shaves of Parmesan cheese
- Start by making the polenta crust: bring the vegetable stock to a simmer in a medium saucepan and pour the polenta into the water. Keep your pan over a low heat and, using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture constantly, thrashing out any lumps that try to form. Cook your polenta following the package instructions.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter and Parmesan and stir until they have disappeared. Cool for 5 minutes, then stir through the beaten egg and season with salt and pepper. Let cool slightly – in the meatime, preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Lightly grease a tart pan with olive oil. Put the polenta in the centre and, using a spatula or oiled fingers, gently tease it up the sides of the pan to create the sides of the crust.
- Smother a thin layer of crème fraîche over the base of your tart and top with goat cheese. On top of the cheese, alternate slices of zucchini and tomato. Finish with the thyme leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 45 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 180°C/350°F and bake for a further 15 minutes. Remove and allow the tart to cool for 5-10 minutes, finish with the Parmesan cheese and drizzle some olive oil.